Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A new post because I am so sick of seeing...

Potty Failure #2. So I will add potty training failure #3 to the list. This time, I wasn't taking no for an answer! The program was "Potty Training in One Day". It involved the usual rewards and such, but the new thing was a consequence when accidents occured. Potty Practice Runs we called them. 5 times, from different places in the house, the mom and PT-ing child run to the potty and practice. This worked once. From then on, he just collapsed and I had to carry/drag him around the house. Boo. We started Wednesday and on Saturday, I said, "Diapers or Underwear?" He said, "Diapers!" so that's where we stand at the moment. This was a huge power struggle and I wasn't up for it. He started having bad behaviors in other ways, to assert his independence and show his power. It was ugly. We are better now, though I am taking advice for PT round #4:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you read The Potty Boot Camp book? I haven't, but a friend of mine said it worked for her son. Here's her blog post about it - http://mamasparkles.blogspot.com/2011/06/sparkle-spotlight-potty-boot-camp.html
I think the biggest thing is to avoid power struggles and try to reinforce that it is the child's accomplishment.