Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Homemade Wheat Bread

I have decided that I really want to be an awesome bread maker. I want to find a yummy recipe and perfect it. I want to grind my own wheat, use honey from Harry and Linda and feel like I am really doing my part to provide for my family. I had this same thought last year, but then began to diet and bread was pretty much a no-no so I put bread-making on the back burner.

I have decided I have a bit more self-control with my eating and that I could practice making bread. I have made quite a few loaves and found a recipe I really like. It takes a long time, but as long as I am home and doing school, it works really well.

Except for the above batch. This batch was VERY depressing. I forgot the salt. A seemingly small omission, only 1 TB for 4 loaves, but the bread was no good. And I had decided at the beginning that I wasn't going to feel bad about throwing away practice loaves, so they went to the compost. But they looked good. And had the best texture so far. So sad.

I am not deterred, though. I will continue my bread-making practice. And from now on, I will not forget the salt.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you! I love homemade bread. I've forgotten to add the salt a couple times as well. We still ate it though. What recipe do you use?

Shanna said...

I love it when bread turns out perfect!! I hate it when an ingrediant in missed. But they do look yummy!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's true bread just doesn't come out right without salt. If you are in the mood to branch out, I invite you to visit my site and try some of the free breads I have posted from my cookbook called Kneadlessly Simple. They require a long rise, but very little effort (or yeast), and have exceptional flavor. I'd be happy to have any feedback if you do try them. Nancy Baggett

emily said...

oh bummer. they do look good. i'm working on perfecting bread too. so far, carrie's recipe is the best i've ever tasted. i'll see if i can find the recipe again. i think i'm going to have to invest in an instant read thermometer because my bread is always underdone or over cooked. argh!

Deb said...

I have a recipe from my dad...get this he got it from a mormon friend when we lived in Berlin...I never knew that until a few years ago. You might like it. If I remember were it is I'll send it to you...

Unknown said...

They DO look really yummy...even if they didn't have enough salt. :) I would love to be a breadmaker too...and a great cake maker..my cakes always turn out crazy looking (though they taste good) and I haven't really tried bread. You will get it down though :)