Here's pics of my naturally curly locks and then I will tell you the secrets:)
Here is my regimen (does that word mean what I think it means?):
- Shampoo-I only shampoo once a week and use a Burt's Bee's shampoo that is sulfate-free.
- Conditioner-I do something called "co-wash" all the other days. I wash only using conditioner (my choice is Suave Naturals Coconut b/c it's cheap and it seems to work). I put it on my wet head and scrub my scalp trying not to disturb my hair. I comb my hair with a VERY wide-toothed comb and try to collect the ENORMOUS amount of hair that comes out of my head. After I rinse this out with cold water( if I can stand it), I put a tiny bit of conditioner on and leave it in.
- Styling-I haven't really figured it out yet, but right now, I scrunch water out of my hair with an old T-shirt and scrunch in Biolage gel while my head is upside down. I use 3 small dollops that I rub in my hands first. The rubbing does something...uh, the word escapes me:) At this point, your hair should feel and squish like wet seaweed :P
- Plopping- this is BY FAR the best part! After the gel, I lay the old t-shirt on the toilet seat so it looks upside down to me. The hair plops straight down into the t-shirt, I grab the arms, sausage roll them, and then tie them behind my head. Voila! My curls are nicely plopped on top of my head and will stay there, undisturbed, for 20-30 minutes...or until someone comes to the door!
- After plopping (some call it plunking), turn upside down, untie the shirt, and shake out my curls. And that's it. It does take a long time to air-dry, though, and today I used my hair dryer with a diffuser and I liked it a lot!